X68000 Game Comparison: Galaga 88

Started by NFG, March 09, 2005, 02:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFG

Here's some screenshots showing the Arcade, X68000 + PC Engine versions of this excellent upgrade to Galaga.  

Arcade, X68000, PCE:

The animation in the arcade version has a few more frames than the X68 game, noticable in the warping sequence between every stage.  The PCE animation is really lacking in this regard.  Also lacking on the PCE are the sounds and alien portraits before every chunk of levels, a real disappointment.

Dempa Micomsoft (Who later went on to make the XRGB series of adaptors) were big supporters of the X68000.  They ported a huge tone of games, most of them very close to arcade perfect.  This was one of their earlier ports, possibly they hadn't quite mastered the X68000 system at the time.  You can see the graphics are almost the same, but for a drop in resolution (possibly because the arcade monitor was vertical and the X68000 screen horizontal) and the slight decrease in extra animations.  If you didn't put them side by side I don't think you'd notice it wasn't the arcade one you're playing.  

CHAZumaru

Interesting stuff.

You had a curious 18+ Snatcher-wannabe for the X68 on NFG once, can you describe it someday ?

The name was something like Imitation wa aishitenai.

atom

These ports appear to be really nice quality. Comparing that to the ports you see nowadays is a big contrast in my eyes. Whats with the bug with the square? Looks like the green was meant to be transparent but they didnt code it right to do so... and the port replicated the bug?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

EdOscuro

QuoteInteresting stuff.

You had a curious 18+ Snatcher-wannabe for the X68 on NFG once, can you describe it someday ?

The name was something like Imitation wa aishitenai.
That rings a bell...I've seen it for sale once, don't remember the format though (but likely X68000 - that or FMT).