Road Blaster to be released on X68030

Started by Magic Knight, April 27, 2009, 09:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic Knight

I've just seen that a version of Data East's 1985 Laser Disc game Road Blaster is to be released for both Windows and X68030/060 machines next week. You need a pretty serious machine to run it though. It costs 2940 yen, pretty sure you get both versions together.

Here's the website:  http://www.anos.jp/road/road.htm

NFG

That's awesome, but a little bit insane: 64MB and a 68060 for the best framerate?  I can get a PC to play it for a lot less than the cost of an '060 machine.  =)

Magic Knight

Quote from: Lawrence on April 27, 2009, 10:34:19 PM
That's awesome, but a little bit insane: 64MB and a 68060 for the best framerate?  I can get a PC to play it for a lot less than the cost of an '060 machine.  =)

Yes, I know, and even with that 68060 you only get 15 fps, on a PC it's 30 fps. With an X68030 you only get 7.5 fps, it's interesting that it's being released, but it would be great to see other 80's arcade games ported if it were possible. I'd have loved if there were games like Enduro Racer, Rolling Thunder, Rainbow Islands, Shinobi et al. on the machine. I have the arcade pcbs, but X68k versions would be nice too.

papa_november

This has to be sloppy coding. If the Sega CD can handle it, a16Mhz machine can probably handle it (with reduced video quality of course). I guess they couldn't be bothered to do much work on the video codec, seeing as how I'm pretty sure none exist on the X68K.

But seriously, an 060-accelerated X68030? That is some serious rarity right there. I'll bet buying the real arcade cabinet is cheaper, even if you factor in storage and freight costs.